Portuguese is the official language in Cape Verde, and is used for all official documents and widely spoken
Categories within this section
- CultureCape Verde is a fascinating country and exhibits a mixture of African, Portuguese and Brazilian influences. This mixture of influences is found in all aspects of life in Cape Verde.
- EntertainmentThe Cape Verdean people are infected with the love of music. They love to party and enjoy themselves and when there is live music in a bar or club, there will invariably be dancing.
- EnvironmentCape Verde is respectful of the environment and aims to eventually produce all of its energy from renewables. The country is also protective of the wildlife such as the loggerhead turtles.
- EqualityCape Verde is one of the few African countries that treats people as equals. There is respect and empowerment for women and also acceptance of LGBTQ people
- FoodThe dominant theme of food in Cape Verde is fish. Fresh fish from the sea is available all over the country. In addition visitors can enjoy a stew called Cachupa
- GeographyThe Cape Verde islands are located in the Atlantic Ocean off the coast of Senegal. The islands vary considerably in character, some being relatively flat with deserts and some being very mountainous and green
- MoviesWe have a selection of movies taken around the Cape Verde islands. We hope they give you a flavour of this fascinating country.
- NatureCape Verde is rich in animals and plants. Endemic plants can be found on more inaccessible areas, and although there are land-based animals, the abundance of sea life is perhaps the greatest attraction.
- PropertyOccasionally we hear of property for sale in which case we feature it here. We also provide a link to an estate agent in Cape Verde.
- Q & AWe have tried to anticipate the questions you may have about this lovely country and then to provide some answers. If you have other questions, please contact us
- Turtle watchingLoggerhead turtles live around Cape Verde and make their nests in the sand dunes. At the right time of year you can see them making their way across the beach.
- WeatherThe weather in Cape Verde is lovely, with little rain and the sun is almost always shining. More facts are provided on our weather page, including a month by month description
- Whale watchingHumpback whales breed in the waters around Cape Verde. Boat trips are available from some islands to view the whales. From some places it is possible to see them from the land.