Portuguese is the official language in Cape Verde, and is used for all official documents and widely spoken
- AnimalsMany of the animals now found on the Cape Verde islands have been introduced, but there are endemic birds, creating attractions for bird watchers.
- CultureCape Verde is a fascinating country and exhibits a mixture of African, Portuguese and Brazilian influences. This mixture of influences is found in all aspects of life in Cape Verde.
- EntertainmentThe Cape Verdean people are infected with the love of music. They love to party and enjoy themselves and when there is live music in a bar or club, there will invariably be dancing.
- EnvironmentCape Verde is respectful of the environment and aims to eventually produce all of its energy from renewables. The country is also protective of the wildlife such as the loggerhead turtles.
- EqualityCape Verde is one of the few African countries that treats people as equals. There is respect and empowerment for women and also acceptance of the LGBTQ community
- FoodThe dominant theme of food in Cape Verde is fish. Fresh fish from the sea is available all over the country. In addition visitors can enjoy a local stew called Cachupa
- GeographyThe Cape Verde islands are located in the Atlantic Ocean off the coast of Senegal. The islands vary considerably in character, some being relatively flat with deserts and some being very mountainous and green
- MoviesWe have a selection of movies taken around the Cape Verde islands. We hope they give you a flavour of this fascinating country.
- PlantsThere are a number of endemic plants found on the islands. However, many others have been introduced and thrive in the tropical climate.
- Q & AWe have tried to anticipate the questions you may have about this lovely country and then to provide some answers. If you have other questions, please contact us
- WeatherThe weather in Cape Verde is lovely, with little rain and the sun is almost always shining. More facts are provided on our weather page, including a month by month description
Things to do
- FestivalsFestivals take place on all of the islands, but Mindelo possibly has the largest and most elaborate celebrations.
- Turtle watchingLoggerhead turtles live around Cape Verde and make their nests in the sand dunes. At the right time of year you can see the babies making their way across the beach.
- Whale watchingHumpback whales breed in the waters around Cape Verde. Boat trips are available from some islands to view the whales and from some places it is possible to see them from the land.
- PartnersWe are pleased to work with a number of providers of accommodation and activities. We hope these are of assistance if you are planning a holiday in Cape Verde
- PropertyOccasionally we hear of property for sale in which case we feature it here. We also provide a link to an estate agent in Cape Verde.
- OffersOur partners sometimes send us special offers, which can be found on this page.
- SubscribeWe distribute an email newsletter several times a year. If you wish to be on our mailing list for the newsletter, please subscribe